As the Florida Little League District Administrators Association opens a new chapter for Little League Florida, another chapter closes in our own District 15. Fred Lorentsen, from Spring Hill Florida, ended his tenure as a Florida District Administrator, District 15, at the completion of his term in 2020. Fred’s guiding knowledge, and defining voice, will be missed in the halls of Little League Florida.
To recognize Fred’s efforts over the years, the Florida Little League District Administrators Association awarded him with this Award of Appreciation; a well deserved recognition but not significant enough to merit the amount of time Fred has given to the Little League program. Special guests in attendance at the presentation were Jen Colvin, Director of the Southeast Region, Robert “Bob” Gibson, former Florida District Administrator District 12, and Mert Leeman, former Florida District Administrator District 9.
During the presentation at the October 2020 Membership Meeting Jen Colvin remarked, “Freddie has been a fierce and loyal supporter of the region and I cannot thank him enough for that. More importantly I am honored to call Fred a dear friend.”
For over 30 years, Fred has dedicated much of his free time to volunteer for Little League Baseball & Softball. During this time, Fred has served on numerous committees, advisory boards, board of directors, coached, umpired, and managed for his local league and Little League Baseball.
In the early 1980s, Fred Lorentsen, along with former District Administrator Jerry Cheeseman, attended FLDAA meetings with their predecessors, Jerry Lowe and Rueben Hill. The expectation was Fred would be the next District Administrator to replace Jerry Lowe, and he did. As Jerry remarked, “It was before either of us had gray hair!”
Fred announced many years ago, and many times, that he was stepping down from his position of Florida District Administrator for District 15 to focus more on his family and retired life. Mostly golf, we suspect.
Fred has held the position of:
- Team Coach
- Team Manager
- League Volunteer Umpire
- League President, Shady Hills Little League
- Little League Florida Section and State Tournament Director
- Little League Florida District 15 Assistant District Administrator
- Little League Florida District 15 District Administrator
- Little League Florida Section 7 Leader
- Little League Florida Urban Initiative Jamboree Director
- Advisor to the Florida Little League District Administrators Association President
- Executive Vice President for the Florida Little League District Administrators Association
- Advisor on the Southeast Region Advisory Board
- Advisor on the Little League Baseball & Softball Presidents Advisory Board
- Advisor on the International Advisory Committee for Little League Baseball & Softball
During the Florida Little League District Administrators Association October Meeting, Fred was nominated and elected to the position of Urban Initiative Consultant. The position was created during the annual review of the Association’s constitution to facilitate the development of the Urban Initiative program in Florida, a program Fred has fostered in Florida since its inception to the Little League program. Fred will be the first to serve in this position for the Association.